Q: How does the cost of a Katy Birth Center birth compare to a hospital birth?
Consider a birthing center and midwife. If you’re healthy, at low risk for complications, and want a natural childbirth, you can save a bundle by delivering at a birthing center instead of a hospital. At a birthing center, the average vaginal birth with no complications usually costs about half of what the same type of delivery at a hospital would cost. You’ll save even more if you use a midwife instead of a doctor — and you increase your chances of getting that natural birth you’re hoping for…Heidi Murkoff, What to Expect When You’re Expecting.
Some links you might consider:
Q: How much does it cost to birth at Katy Birth Center?
At Katy Birth Center we provide safe, individualized, comprehensive care where you and your baby receive a more personalized approach to your care during your pregnancy, birth and postpartum period.
For clients with insurance we have a specialist that is happy to help you determine your maternity benefits, including your deductible and approximate percentages that may be covered. Insurance companies typically pay about $1500 more for using our licensed birth center than for a home birth.
However, it is difficult to give an exact cost comparison given that every insurance policy has different levels of coverage, deductibles and co-pays.
If you have no insurance, a high deductible or no out of network benefits we offer a large discount if you choose an early pay option by the 34th week of your pregnancy. You can still use your insurance and our in-house biller will be happy to assist you with the coding and billing information you will need to submit via self filing with your insurance company. But, by taking advantage of the early cash discount, the price is $5500 which is $1000 off our regular insurance price.
Finally, you may not be aware that birth center fees are typically at least 50% less for a normal vaginal delivery than hospital based care.
Cost of care can be:
- OB physician $3-8K
- Hospital (Vaginal Birth $3-12K for mom, $2-5K for the newborn care, C/Section $15-20k additional cost)
- Pathologist (for reading your labs)
- Anesthesiologist (epidural $3K, etc.)
- Imaging Services (ultrasounds, x-rays, etc)
- Laboratory Tests
- Pediatrician Care
Typically cost can range anywhere from $8,000 on the low end for a natural birth of up to $40,000 in total for a hospital birth, depending on the situation.
Cost of care at Katy Birth Center:
At Katy Birth Center we offer different packages to meet all needs. Generally, a home or birth center birth will run $6-7K, and a fully detailed cost estimate is available upon request. We offer $1000 early cash discount off our $6500 price if paid in full by 34 weeks gestation.
Our main Maternity Care Package includes:
- Prenatal Care
- Routine labs
- Labor / Birth
- Postpartum Care
- Assistant (at delivery)
- Initial Newborn Care
- Newborn Exam
- Breastfeeding counseling/assistance
- Facility /or loaner pool (if home) most supplies
Additional services not included in the Katy Birth Center Maternity Care Packages are as follows:
- Non Routine Laboratory tests *
- Imaging Studies (including ultrasounds)
- Acupuncture treatment
- Chiropractic Care
- Childbirth education
- Office Visits to address non-routine problems
- Medical care needed and provided by a physician
- Specialist or hospital care
- Newborn screens, tests, and medications
- Rhogam Shots
- Labor & Delivery therapies or medications
- For the insurance package Lab tests will be billed to your insurance company
* We will review all laboratory tests needed and charges before they are done. A list of laboratory charges are available upon request